Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Black Belt Mama's

Middle-age women using the martial arts to fight off aging

By Taisha Walker, NCC News

Syracuse, NY Nancy Chappell has been a student of the martial arts for 7 years. Infact, she is even a second-degree black belt. Chappell loves doing karate but also likes being a teacher. She teaches dental assisting on the BOCES camps in Liverpool. What most people do not know about Chappell is that this 47-year old practices karate with her 17-year old son, Christopher.

"I don't think of her as my mom at the dojo. She's just like another person I train with, it's like another friend " said Christopher.

While being able to build a stronger relationship with her son was rewarding, Nancy also said she enjoyed the bond between herself and the other women in her Karate class. Nancy and the other three women in her class, Liana Person, 35, Maybelle Oros 59, Stacy Karpinski 49, are part of a group called "The Sweat Sisters."

"The Sweat Sisters" is a group of women between the age of 35 and 63 who practice karate at Tearney's Karate in Camillus.

"Most of them have been training for 6 years together. They all built a great bond with one another and great friends, that's how we've developed the Sweat Sister mindset. They all come in together and become sisters in the martial arts together" said Carlos Tearney, Head INstructor at Tearney's Karate.

All of the women all have sons who train in the martial arts as well. For Nancy, Christopher was her inspiration.

"I actually watched my son do karate for over 4 years and I thought I can do that. Then I turned 40 and it was my 40th birthday gift to myself; I figured it was now or never."

And after 7 years, Nancy is as passionate about karate now as she was the moment she started. She said it has changed her mentally, physically and has even given her new found confidence. Karate has changed Nancy's life for the better.

And it doesn't seem as if Nancy plans to give up karate anytime soon.

"I don't see myself ever stopping. We've had 2 older men get their black belts, one is 70, one is 77. I look at them as my role model that means I still have 30 more years " said Nancy.


2 comments:

Blackbeltmama said...

That's me in that picture and it's copyrighted. Please remove it. Thank you.

Blackbeltmama said...

You have until tomorrow at noon to remove my picture or contact me regarding payment for using it unauthorized. My cease & desist letter is ready to fax to blogger.